Winter days, I still love you. Maybe the rain a bit less lately. But hè, that made me decide to spend my days off in the kitchen last week, so no complaining here🥧.
One of the things I made is this delicious carrot cake 😋.
Inspired by Jamie Oliver because I remembered his carrot cake version is made with orange juice. After failing twice in creating my own vegan recipe, the third cake turned out perfect.
I also added a bit more spices, raisins, and cranberries to give the cake some extra flavor. So much sweetness for you and your friends to share 💑. Enjoy!
- baking tin
- measuring cups & spoons
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tbsps cold water
- 80 g applesauce
- 25 ml melted coconut oil or cooking spray, plant-based butter
- 20 ml maple syrup
- 20 ml orange juice + zest of 1 orange
- 40 g sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 200 g grated carrot + extra for decoration
- 40 ml almond milk
- 60 g almond flour
- 60 g buckwheat flour
- 100 g chopped walnuts
- 20 g cranberries
- 20 g raisins
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp apple vinegar
- 150 g cashew nuts soaked in boiled water for at least 10 minutes
- 60 ml water
- 3 tbsps plant based butter
- 1 lemon squeezed + lemon zest
- 3 tbsps maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- Mix the flaxseeds with the water in a glass, set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180℃/356.℉
- Take a bowl and mix the apple sauce with the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, orange juice, orange zest, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, baking powder, ground ginger, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add the flaxseeds and whisk to combine.
- Add the grated carrot and stir.
- Add the almond milk and stir again.
- Add the almond flour and buckwheat flour by sieving and stir until it becomes a well mixed batter.
- Add the chopped walnuts, cranberries, and raisins and mix on more time.
- Lastly, add the baking soda to the mixture.
- Pour the apple vinegar on top of the baking soda, it will start to foam (this helps to make the cake become more fluffy).
- Whisk everything one last time.
- Take a baking thin, butter with coconut oil, cooking spray, or plant based butter.
- Place a layer of baking paper on the bottom of the baking tin.
- Pour the carrot cake mixture into the baking thin.
- Place into the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes until deep golden brown.
- You can also use a toothpick to check if the cake is done (inserted into the center, and when it comes out clean your cake is ready).
- Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool down completely.
- Meanwhile you can start with the frosting.
- Take the cashew nuts without the (soaking) water and crush into a high speed blender.
- Add the 60 ml water, butter, lemon, lemon zest, maple syrup and pinch of salt.
- Mix until smooth, spoon into a cup and place into the fridge.
- Let it cool down for at least one hour.
- Once your cake and frosting cooled down, cut the cake into cubes.
- Add the frosting and top off with shredded carrot and orange zest.
- Store leftover in the fridge for 3-4 days.