To tell you the truth I have never been nor will I ever be a big fan of those small, salty pretzels. Or as we know them in the Netherlands: the pretzel sticks.
But… when you combine those salty treats with my favorite peanut butter, that is a whole different story. That is when the pretzels go from 10 to number 1, really fast.
Cover them with chocolate and I am the happiest girl alive. And because I like to share my happiness with you, read on for the instructions on how to make yourself peanut butter & pretzel bars, covered in – you guessed it – chocolate. Yum!
Chocolate covered peanut butter & pretzel bars
- food processor or a high-speed blender
- cups & spoons
- baking tin
- baking paper
- stainless steel container (to melt chocolate au bain marie
- 50 g pretzel sticks
- 100 g oats
- 250 g Medjool dates
- 1 tbsps peanut butter
- 9 Medjool dates
- 125 ml water
- 2 tbsps peanut butter
- 120 g dark chocolate
- 10 crushed pretzel sticks optional
- Let the dates for the middle layer soak in a bowl of warm water for about an hour.
- Meanwhile, start with the bottom layer by putting the pretzel sticks, dates and oats in a blender and mix very well.
- Add your favourite peanut butter and blend until it is all combined.
- The mixture should not be very sticky, but not too dry either.
- If it is still a bit dry add in more dates or another spoon of peanut butter.
- Place a baking sheet in your baking tin, evenly fill it up with the mixture and place it in your freezer.
- Blend the soaked dates with the water until it is smooth and caramel-like.
- Then add in the peanut butter and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture on top of the bottom layer in your baking tan and let it rest in the freezer for at least 15 minutes before preparing the top layer.
- Melt your dark chocolate au bain-marie.
- When it is all melted, simply pour it on top of the middle layer.
- Decorate with the pretzel sticks (optional).
- Do not take too much time with this, the chocolate layer will harden quickly.
- When done decorating, place it back in your freezer.
- After 10-15 minutes you can take it out and cut it into bars or big chunks.
- Store in the fridge or just eat them right away (like you can resist).