I’ve been creating and collecting a few Spring and Summer recipes in the past weeks. Simple ones, since that’s been a request by many of my friends.
I personally prefer to eat light meals once Spring starts. And when the long warm Summer days kick in, it’s mostly salad and watermelon all day long 😋.
Since being an individual with much love for all her workouts and training, I realize a simple salad and watermelon won’t last all day, more power and energy are needed to succeed right 💪🥊.
Below an easy and quick variation of the Iceberg Lettuce salad. Let me know if you liked it.
And enjoy Springtime (or winter time if you live in or around AUS 😁).
Crunchy fresh lettuce wraps
- cutting board
- measuring cups & spoons
- mixing bowl
- frying pan
- wooden spoon
- 8 oz tempeh
- 1/4 cup sambal
- 1/4 cup liquid smoke optional
- 2 tbsps soy sauce or kecap manis
- 2 tbsps sesame oil + extra for frying
- 1 tsp maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 tsp red pepper powder
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can legume mix beans for example
- 1 head lettuce
- 1 red onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 tsp potato starch or use tapioca or arrowroot
- green onions for topping
- Take a big bowl, add sambal, liquid smoke, soy sauce, sesame oil, maple syrup, ginger, red pepper powder, garlic and whisk together.
- Either crumble or cut the tempeh into small chunks.
- Mix with the spicy mixture and set aside.
- Thinly slice the onion, carrot, and green onions.
- Cut and wash lettuce, pat dry leaves, and set aside.
- Heat a medium-size frying pan over medium-high heat, add 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil and fry red onion in 5-7 minutes until golden brown.
- Reduce heat to medium-low if needed.
- Add the tempeh and spice mixture into the pan.
- Stir regularly and fry for 8-10 minutes.
- Add carrot & bean mixture and fry for another 3-5 minutes.
- Lastly, add starch and stir until it becomes a thick sauce.
- Grab a plate, place 2-3 lettuce leaves on the plate and spoon the tempeh mixture into each lettuce leave.
- Sprinkle with green onion and serve.