oh, since the day I was able to chew on my own food my love for coconut grew and grew 🥥🥥. And the one cookie I used to eat for quite a while almost every week, was the sweet coconut macaroons (or as in Dutch; kokosmakronen).
Now, I changed my life a bit and skipped those awfully unhealthy cookies out of my eating habits. But every now and then I sin, and make my own macaroons with a little less sugar-packed within.
Next time I hope to make the ‘donut-lookalike’ version with sweet eatable paper, ’cause that’s how you can buy them here in the Netherlands. Are you familiar with edible paper?
Enjoy this sweet recipe, and remember..take it slow with the shredded coconut 😋.
Kokosmakronen / Coconut macaroons
- measuring cups & spoons
- (hand) mixer
- 2 bowls
- baking tray
- baking paper
- 140 g shredded coconut
- 130 ml aquafaba (liquid from can of chickpeas)
- 4 tbsps maple syrup
- 2 tbsps coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp vanilla bean
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven at 175℃/350℉.
- Put the shredded coconut on a baking tray lined with baking paper and toast very briefly in the oven (3-5 minutes).
- Place a mixing bowl for 10 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Take another bowl and add the maple syrup.
- Take the toasted coconut and mix with the maple syrup, set aside.
- Take the first bowl out of the fridge and add the aquafaba.
- Whisk until stiff.
- Add the coconut oil, vanilla bean, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Whisk again until all ingredients are incorporated.
- !Now, a big reminder!
- Add 1 tablespoon of shredded coconut at the time to the aquafaba mixture, go slow!
- You want to make sweet and moist macaroons, no coconut bricks.
- Keep stirring quickly, don’t overdo it.
- Once the mixture becomes thick yet sticky you’re done.
- Preheat the oven once more, to 150℃/325℉.
- Bake the cookies for 25 minutes. Don’t open the oven door in-between baking.
- After 25 minutes, increase the heat to 175℃/350℉, and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Once they look crispy and brown, take out of the oven and allow to cool down completely before serving.
- Store in an airtight container for 5-7 days.